Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Flash

Flash is good... Flash is bad... I guess the trick is to know when to use it, and when NOT to.

The Pros of flash:
1. It adds light
2. It eliminates blur.
The Cons of flash:
1. The flash may disturb your subject
2.Creates UGLY lighting situations:
-hot spots (really shiny bright spots)
-backgrounds are very dark
-because the light is so bright, it takes away almost all shadows. Subjects without shadows look flat and plain. They are without volume and texture.
-distracting reflections off of glasses, windows, etc.
-RED EYES

This photo is an excellent of both pros and cons. In such a dark situation I am happy that the camera could flash and give enough light to capture the moment I gallantly saved a frog from the middle of a cold road. However, the background is dark, I am flat without any interesting shadows, my skin is shiny and overall its an awful picture as far as visually speaking goes.

The trick with flash is to use it when it is necessary, and avoid it when possible. There are times in the middle of the day when using flash is a good idea outside! And there are also plenty of times in dark situations when leaving flash out makes for the better picture.

No comments: